We were notified late yesterday that BillTrust, our third party vendor for customer invoicing and online bill payment, was the subject of a Malware attack. BillTrust is working with federal law enforcement and cyber security firms to investigate and remediate the attack. Currently, all BillTrust services are down, which affects our ability to deliver invoices and present our online billpay portal to you. We apologize for this interruption.
This morning, BillTrust communicated to us that our/your data has not been compromised and they are working around the clock to restore service levels. Due to the volume of data and the need to exercise extreme caution, BillTrust plans to restore services on a measured schedule. As of Friday, October 18th – 8:30AM CST, BillTrust does not have an ETA on the restoration of service.
We appreciate your patience and will keep you updated as we learn more from BillTrust. In the meantime, while BillTrust works to restore service, we are here for you. If you need a copy of an invoice, an account balance, or if you would like to make a payment, we can assist you. Please contact your local branch or our Accounts Receivable Department (205-251-8500) and someone will be glad to help you.
Update from BillTrust:
Friday, Oct. 18 – 12:00 P.M. ET
We continue our efforts to remediate the criminal malware attack impacting our environment. In addition to the points we made earlier today (below), we are now sharing the following additional information:
- We have successfully deployed forensic software on a majority of our systems.
- We continue to make progress with the investigation of what happened.
- We are in regular communication with our cybersecurity partner and the efforts that are underway.
- We are continuing to leverage our incident response plans to guide our efforts.
- We do not anticipate having services fully restored before the close of business.
Our earlier communication stated:
- In conjunction with our cybersecurity partner, we are in the process of deploying additional software to help with mitigation and prevention.
- We strongly encrypt sensitive data that is at rest in our system.
- There is currently no evidence that any data has been compromised.
- We regularly back up our data in preparation for events like this.
- We continue to make progress in restoring services.
- Out of an abundance of caution, we plan to restore systems on a measured schedule.
We understand having an ETA is crucial to your business. We hope to have more information in our next update scheduled before 6PM ET.
Update from BillTrust:
Friday, Oct. 18 – 6:00 P.M. ET
Thank you for your patience as we work through this attack.
We have deployed additional security software across our infrastructure and have started to bring systems online. Here are the major product updates:
- Billtrust Credit (former Credit2B) – up and operational.
- Billtrust eCommerce (Second Phase) – up and operational.
- Billtrust Virtual Card Capture – scheduled to be up and running on Saturday, October 19 with a plan to work through the weekend to begin catching up on back log.
- Billtrust Cash Application – over the next 12-24 hours, we intend to bring Cash Application customers live starting with processing of lockbox and open balance files.
- Billtrust Billing & Payments – Billing and Payment websites will be turned on this evening followed by FTP connectivity. We expect card payment processing to resume this evening and ACH processing to resume on Monday, October 21 but will update you if anything changes.
- Billtrust VueBill – please contact your account representative for specific details.
Wittichen Supply is still waiting for communication from BillTrust that they are ready to accept data transmission. Once we receive word from BillTrust, we will work with them to catch up on our invoicing and bill pay portal data.